1. Don't go it alone: Ask for assistance from your friends, family or professionals.
2. Start early and start young: Spring cleaning is more than just cleaning; it can be prepping for an eventual move. So every year, purge a little, because it is never too early, you are never too young to start sorting and downsizing. If you start early, you get to make the decisions instead of having someone make them for you.
3. Start behind closed doors: Sort and organize closets, filing cabinets, attics and basements. Choose one a month until you are done.
4. Box, then discard: Think about items that you use every day and would like to continue using every day in your new home. Write them down. Those things that don't make your list (things you just don't use, but can't yet bear to part with), box up. Six months to a year later, discard or give away the contents of that box. You obviously haven't missed these items that much.
5. Giveaway gifting: Distribute things to family and friends, including family mementos, photos and books. Choose an item a month. Save only those keep-sakes that mean the most to you. Don't ever throw away something that has special memories, is valuable or is a family heirloom.
6. Ask, "Do I really need that?" Disposeof non-fixable items, unwearable clothing and items that are doing no more than just taking up space. This includes medication. Throw out (some pharmacies take them) all expired medicines now, because you are never going yo use them. When disposing of medications, make sure to follow the guidelines offered by Health Canada.
7. Use up what you have or make donations: Eat up those cans of food you stocked up on prior to a storm; eat the frozen foods in your freezer. You are not going to want to pack those heavy items.
8. Bottom-line: The fewer items you need to pack and move, the smaller the moving bill.
9. Have draperies, rugs and other linens cleaned before the move.
10. Develop a floor plan for your new residence, so you know where your furniture will go and what items you won't have room for in your new home. Then, start thinking about to whom you would like to give those items, whether a family member, an auction house or a charity organization that will, undoubtedly, really appreciate your furniture donations.
Hire the local expert, sell for more Call Jeremy today 905-925-0007 or visit www.JeremyRomano.com
Author:Jeremy Romano Phone: 905-925-0007 Dated: June 14th 2018 Views: 196 About Jeremy: I am a Full-time Realtor in the Durham Region and Kawartha Lakes market, and have lived here for ove...
Your Source for Homes in the Durham Region, Northumberland and Kawartha Lakes Area.
For years now, Jeremy Romano Team has been going above and beyond for their clients within the Durham Region and Kawartha Lakes Area. They help more people using their unique approach and passion for real estate. Whether you are buying a house for the first time, looking to up-size, downsize or invest, Jeremy Romano Team is there to guide you.
We are here to lead you through the process of buying your dream home or selling your existing home for top dollar.
Are you looking to buy a home or an investment property in the Durham Region and Kawartha Lakes Area?
We offer these unique services:
Access to off market properties
Are you up-sizing? Downsizing? Curious about selling?
Our streamlined selling service will get you top dollar!
We are thinking of buying a house as a rental investment. What
"We have recently had the pleasure of dealing with Jeremy Romano in the sale and purchase of two houses. Charming, persistent, professional, hard-working and innovative are words to describe our experience with him. Always pleasant, with an excellent sense of humour, Jeremy went out of his way to accommodate our every need and desire. He willingly held many open houses when selling our home in the winter, even going so far as to register with a neighbouring real estate board in order to broaden the exposure of his constant advertising. Throughout the whole process of our sale, Jeremy was tactfully honest with us, helping out with the staging of our home, keeping us informed of potential buyers’ reactions and ably negotiating the final sale contract. When we did sell our home, he willingly spent many hours with us viewing potential homes, advising us when we bought a home, negotiating for us in that purchase, and unselfishly spending even more time with us while we visited our new home several times before moving day. Jeremy has been instrumental in making this potentially stressful process a thoroughly enjoyable experience. We highly recommend him, and would use him as our real estate agent again without hesitation, or, as the saying goes, “in a New York second”! "